The Best Start for Your Baby
As your guide to better health, Buckeye Health Plan wants to help you give your baby the best possible start to life. Buckeye provides the tools and resources to support you and your family.
Start Smart for Your Baby® Program
Our Start Smart for Your Baby® Program provides support for moms before, during and after your pregnancy at no cost to you. We provide:
- Information about pregnancy and newborn care
- Community resources to help you get the things you need during your pregnancy and after your baby is born. This includes food, cribs, housing and clothing
- Breastfeeding support and resources
- Professional medical staff who work with you and your doctor and nurses if you have a more difficult pregnancy
- Resources if you are feeling down during or after your pregnancy
- Methods to help you quit smoking, drinking alcohol or taking drugs
- Up to $250 in rewards for submitting a pregnancy form and completing your infant well-care visits
- Transportation to doctor's appointments and other social services
Pregnant and don’t know where to start?
- Go to your doctor as soon as possible. Call Buckeye Member Services if you need help finding a doctor.
- Let us know about your pregnancy. Fill out a Notification of Pregnancy Form:
- Through your Member Web Portal
- By calling 1-866-246-4358
- Or, mailing a form to:
Start Smart Program
7700 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105-9963
Resources for the First Year of Life
The first year of life is filled with major health and developmental milestones. It is important that you take your baby to the doctor for needed immunizations and health visits. Buckeye created a member booklet (PDF) to help you learn and track your baby’s appointments and keep health records in one place.
Keeping your child up-to-date on their immunizations can be challenging. Buckeye’s Immunization Chart (PDF) helps you understand which immunizations your child needs and when. Learn why it’s important to get your child vaccinated. Visit our vaccination page.
Did you know that you can get rewarded for keeping your baby on-track with their health appointments? Buckeye’s My Health Pays® program gives you $100 for completing 6 infant well care visits by 15 months old. Use your rewards on things you need at Walmart® or Sam’s Club® or on rent, utilities and more — just for getting their well visit each year.
If you are pregnant or have a baby under one year, Buckeye encourages you to sign up for Text4baby, a FREE service that helps you feel more prepared for motherhood! Text4baby will send you doctor appointment reminders, personalized information on prenatal care, baby's development, signs of labor, breastfeeding, nutrition and more - right to your cell phone.
It's easy to sign up and the messages are free - regardless of how many text messages you have in your cell phone plan or even if you didn't have texting in your plan.*
*Normal data charges may apply if you access any links included in the free messages. Content may not be available on all carriers. For help with Text4baby services, text the word HELP to 511411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extra benefits to help your family
Need a ride? Buckeye Women and children get unlimited transportation to and from doctor’s appointments and social services like WIC. You also get 5 round trips per year to the grocery store, food pantry or farmers’ market. To schedule a ride, call Buckeye Member Services at 866-246-4358 at least 48 hours in advance.
Need linked to community resources? Buckeye Community Connect gives you access to thousands of free and low-cost resources to help your family. Search for community-based organizations that can help with food, housing, transportation, jobs and more!
To learn more about these and other member benefits, check out our member website.
Looking for other resources and health information?
See our preganancy and information guides below:
- Miscarriage (PDF)
- Breast Feeding your Baby (PDF)
- 17P - Therapy (PDF)
- Newborn Journey (PDF)
- Pregnancy Journey (PDF)
- RSV (PDF)
- Smart Steps (PDF)
- Pregnancy Guide (PDF)
- Pregnancy Guide - Spanish (PDF)
- Your Pregnancy Booklet (PDF)
- Addiction in Pregnancy Program (PDF)
- Goals for a Healthier Me and Baby to Be! (PDF)
- Healthy Moms (PDF)
- Sleep Safe (PDF)
Links & References: