Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
As your guide to better health, Buckeye helps you find resources to support your family. You may be eligible for WIC, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children. Learn more about this program for women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or who recently had a baby, infants, and children up to five years of age who are at health risk due to lack of proper nutrition.
Here are answers to some of your frequently asked questions about WIC:
How can WIC help my family?
- Nutrition education
- Breastfeeding education and support
- Nutritious foods like cereal, eggs, milk, whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables and iron-fortified infant formula
- Referrals to prenatal and pediatric health care
- Other maternal and child health and human service programs
Who is eligible for WIC?
WIC is for Pregnant and breastfeeding women; women who recently had a baby; infants, birth through 12 months and children age 1 to 5 years; who are:
- Present at the clinic appointment, and provide proof of identity;
- Residents of the State of Ohio;
- Determined by health professionals to be at medical/nutritional risk; and
- Meets income guidelines – 185% of Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.
How do I apply for WIC?
- Visit the clinic nearest you. Use the WIC Clinic Directory to find your county’s WIC clinic.
- Call the Help Me Grow helpline at 1-800-755-GROW (1-800-755-4769).
WIC helps Ohioans thrive by supporting pregnant women and their babies
- Helps get you see a doctor earlier to receive needed care for your unborn baby which helps:
- Improve the length of your pregnancy
- Decrease the incidence of low birth weight
- Reduce late term fetal deaths
- Provides support services for you to have a full-term pregnancy
What are some additional benefits of signing up for WIC?
- You can try new foods and recipes
- Learn about your family’s diet needs
- Follow your children’s growth
- Feel good during your pregnancy
- Grow a healthy baby
- Make the best feeding decisions for you and your family
- Be successful with your breastfeeding goals
- Help with striving for an active lifestyle